Elder abuse has a profound effect on millions of older adults as well the people who love and care for them. Older victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and financial exploitation are being harmed every day. Here are a few ways you can raise awareness of elder abuse and support older survivors on World Elder Abuse Awareness Day and all year long.
- Provide training or organize conferences and other events about the issue of elder abuse.
- Commit to raising awareness of elder abuse through social and print media and awareness campaigns throughout the year.
- Lift up older survivors’ stories throughout the year by inviting them to speak at an awareness event during Stalking Awareness Month (January), Sexual Assault Awareness Month (April), and Domestic Violence Awareness Month (October).
- Include images of older adults and examples of elder abuse in general education materials and presentations.
- Confront ageist messages in the media by writing editorials or engaging in social media to encourage positive portrayals of older adults and visibility of persons of all ages.
- Create awareness of the diversity and complexity of lives and experiences across the lifespan.
- Involve older adults from diverse backgrounds in a meaningful way in creating, reviewing, and implementing programs and policies.
- Engage the voices of older survivors when working on legislation to enhance protections for victims of elder abuse, domestic violence. financial exploitation, sexual assault, and stalking.
Download a PDF of these tips.