To commemorate Domestic Violence Awareness Month, NCALL is pleased to announce the release of our updated toolkit: Rural Domestic and Sexual Abuse Program Advocates: Making a Difference in The Lives of Older Survivors of Abuse. NCALL first created this toolkit in 2013 aiming to provide rural domestic and sexual abuse service programs with resources and tools to effectively respond to abuse in later life, an issue that lies at the nexus between domestic violence, sexual assault, and elder abuse.
This new release builds upon the original toolkit, incorporating feedback from two focus groups of individuals working in rural communities. In it you will find:
- an overview of abuse in later life and the unique challenges it poses for older survivors and service providers;
- suggested strategies for serving older survivors in rural areas;
- ideas for tailoring services in DV and SA programs to better meet the needs of older marginalized adults;
- tips for outreach in rural communities;
- and a discussion of the importance of working together to respond to abuse in later life.