Earlier this year, NCALL teamed up with the ABA Commission on Domestic & Sexual Violence to offer a 5-part abuse in later life webinar series for civil attorneys and legal advocates. In case you missed it, these webinars are now available for streaming! Click any of the links below to get started.
- Module 1: Abuse in Later Life Overview – February 19, 2020
This module explores forms of abuse in later life, common abuser tactics, and dynamics of power and control that exist in many abuse in later life cases.
- Module 2: Forming the Relationship with Your Client – March 5, 2020
This module discusses the importance of using a victim-centered approach to screening for abuse in later life and critical challenges to client communication, including accessibility and cultural barriers. The key concepts of privilege, confidentiality, and mandated reporting are also discussed.
- Module 3: Client Goal-setting and Non-litigation Responses – March 19, 2020
This module discusses the need for civil attorneys to listen to client priorities and goals to achieve desired outcomes. Engaging in multi-disciplinary collaboration and client advocacy are also reviewed.
- Module 4: Legal Resolutions and Remedies – April 2, 2020
This module identifies available civil legal remedies that serve both vulnerable and competent older victims.
- Module 5: Bringing the Case – Trial Skills – April 16, 2020
This module discusses the identification and preservation of evidence and testimony and helps viewers to understand methods to develop an effective elder abuse case theory and prepare witnesses for direct and cross-examination.